Geography is a popular subject at Wyvern Academy, our students love learning about practical real world issues such as climate change, earthquakes, economic development, migration, flooding, rainforest destruction which all make headline news on a daily basis. Pupils learn in Geography how the planet and the people living on it increasingly affect our lives. The pupils will learn through various ways how Geography has played an important role in the evolution of people, their ideas, places and environments.
Pupils will learn the skills to be able to make sensible judgements about matters involving relationships between the physical environment and society whilst also understanding global interdependence and reflect on how to become a better global citizen. Our Geography department aims to develop the analytical and communication skills of young people as well as their geographical factual knowledge to help them make sense of the world around them; as well as cultivating a sense of wonder in the subject itself.
Current Year 10
Pupils are following the AQA Geography 1-9 syllabus
Paper 1: Living with the physical environment
- The challenge of natural hazards, The living world, Physical landscapes in the UK (Coasts and Rivers)
Paper 2: Challenges in the human environment
- Urban issues and challenges, The changing economic world, The challenge of resource management
Paper 3 Geographical Application
- Issue evaluation, Fieldwork, Geographical skills
Current Year 11
Pupils are following the Edexcel A syllabus.
- Section A – Geographical Skills. This covers cartographic skills, graphical skills, and geographical enquiry, and ICT and GIS skills.
- Section B – Challenges for the Planet. This covers issues that have arisen from climate change and sustainable development.
- Section A – The Physical World. Pupils should complete all of the following topics: Coastal Landscapes, River Landscapes and Tectonic Landscapes.
- Section B – Environmental Issues. Pupils complete a topic on A Wasteful World.
- Section A – The Human World. Pupils should complete all of the following topics: Economic Change, Settlement Change and Population Change.
- Section B – People Issues. Students should complete a topic on Tourist’s World.
- Controlled Assessment investigation